Thinking of donating or getting involved in a nonprofit? Here are some suggested questions to ask nonprofit organizations before investing in them. The answers can help you determine which charities to give to and evaluate the performance of the philanthropies you already support.
1. How are you REALLY collaborating with other organizations on a local, regional, or national level? What are some examples? How would you like to enhance these efforts?
2. What are the main obstacles that inhibit the fulfillment of your mission? How are you planning to overcome them?
3. How much turnover have you experienced of employees and board members in the last two years? Especially in the CEO/Executive Director position?
4. To what degree have you attracted NEW people and new ideas to your organization and board?
5. Do you have an active – we live this with our heart and soul – Conflict of Interest Policy with your Board of Directors and Organization Founders? How is this document supported and discussed?
6. How well have you used your funding? How do you actually HELP people? What does community impact look like to you?
7. How efficiently is your organization run? What are the key investments your organizations have made in the last year? How diverse is your Board? How do you SUPPORT your volunteers?
8. Who are your main competitors and how do your results in recent years compare to theirs? How do you reach out and collaborate with them to create a greater common good?